Pizza & Nutrition
Joe Corbi’s - A Healthy Fit with MyPyramid
Pizza crust is a member of the Grains group. Joe Corbi's pizza is made with enriched wheat flour. Joe Corbi's offers a whole wheat crust pizza; this is a smart choice for increasing whole grains. More whole grains puts more fiber in your diet.
Pizza sauce is a member of the vegetable group. Joe Corbi's pizza sauce is made from a cooked/concentrated puree of fresh tomatoes. Cooking fresh tomatoes enhances the presence of lycopene; research has shown this antioxidant may protect against certain cancers.
Fruit from home (pineapple, raisins, cranberries) can top a Joe Corbi's pizza for the adventurous crowd. This will make Joe Corbi's pizza deliver even more nutritional goodness.
Cheese is a member of the milk group. One and one-half ounces of cheese has the same amount of calcium as an eight-ounce glass of milk. With Joe Corbi's cheese-topped pizzas, you can eat your calcium! Joe Corbi's tops a whole wheat crust cheese pizza kit with reduced fat cheese.
MEAT & BEANS
Some Joe Corbi's pizzas include flavorful (not heavy) amounts of traditional pizza meats (pepperoni, sausage). Heavy amounts of these meats on pizza can contribute extra fat. Extra lean meat and bean toppings can be at-home add-ons according to personal taste preferences and health concerns.
As an important ingredient to produce tender and flavorful crusts and flavorful sauces, Joe Corbi's uses small amounts of soybean and corn oil in these pizza components.
- Joe Corbi's® Pizza - A Nutritious Foundation for Eating Healthy
- Putting Joe Corbi's pizza at the center of a meal is a great beginning (foundation) for good nutrition.
- Traditional pizza meals usually include salad and/or fresh vegetables. And many pizzas include vegetables and even fruit as toppings. Vegetables and fruits supply basic nutrients as well as antioxidants that may promote health and protect against certain diseases.
- All of the Joe Corbi's pizza kits include cheese, and cheese is a source of bone-building calcium.
- Home cooks can start with a Joe Corbi's cheese pizza kit and add toppings to build creative and healthy pizza pies. You can now copy some of the healthy topping combinations now found in fancy pizza restaurants.
- Having time to cook is a component of healthful eating and a Joe Corbi's pizza kit is a star when cooking time is too short. Cooks, and even kids with help, can quickly build a healthy meal by adding an extra vegetable or two to a Joe Corbi's pizza kit. Pizza bake time is just enough time to prepare fresh or canned fruit for dessert and to set a table fit for the family.
Health Power to the Pizza Cook and Parents!
Joe Corbi's understands calorie and other nutrition concerns. Home cooks will find it helpful that Joe Corbi's original pizza kits are portioned into serving sizes that range from 200 calories per piece to 280 calories per piece. Each pizza kit includes calorie and other nutrition information for the complete pizza and for individual components on the nutrition label. This puts the power to plan a healthful meal into the hands of the home cook!
Joe Corbi's pizza makers know the United States is experiencing a child obesity crisis. Health experts advise families, schools and others concerned about this situation to use a multi-component strategy to correct the problem; families are advised to practice healthful, balanced eating, increase physical activity, and learn more about health and nutrition.
Helpful sources for more information on healthful eating
Learn more about:
and design a personal plan
Guidelines and how good
dietary habits can promote health
How to use
Nutrition Facts on labels
to make smart food choices